Our Emmaus Handbook lists ten steps to good sponsorship. These are a good checklist for the first time sponsor or a good check up for the more experienced sponsor:
- PRAY! Pray for the person's openness to God's call to discipleship (not how to get him/her to go on the Walk).
- Make an appointment with the person or couple to discuss their participation in an Emmaus Weekend.
- Extend an Invitation. Invite your friend to go for a more vital relationship with Jesus Christ. Explain the basic elements of the walk, its purpose and follow up dimensions that help us live close to God the rest of our lives. You are presenting your friend with a wonderful gift.
- Ask your friend to make a commitment by filling out the registration form. If married, speak with both spouses and encourage each to commit to the weekend.
- Continue to Pray for your friend(s), prepare agape letters and enlist the support of their pastor. Try to collect at least 10 letters. (And please do not ask the team to deliver personal gifts during the weekend.)
- Support the Walk through your prayers during the 72 Hour Prayer Vigil and your presence at Send Off, Sponsor's Hour, Candlelight and Closing. Support your friend's family by house sitting, baby sitting, feeding pets or just checking in with their spouse to make sure everything is all right.
- Encourage your friend in his/her Fourth Day. Let them talk about their experience on the Walk. Take them to a Reunion Group to help them plug in. Take them to the first Gathering after their weekend.
- Help your friend reenter his/her church as they consider ways to contribute with their new enthusiasm.
- Inform them of ways to serve in the Emmaus Community and future Walks.
- Help your friend sponsor another on an Emmaus Walk!
Sponsorship is an act of love for God, your friends, the local church and for the Emmaus Community. It demonstrates agape love, making us instruments of prevenient grace.